Within the framework of World No Tobacco Day, the Mexican federal government announced that it will sign a decree that will prohibit the circulation and commercialization of vapers and electronic cigarettes.
The announcement was made by the Undersecretary of Health, Hugo López-Gatell this May 31, during the press conference of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.
“The president will sign this new decree that prohibits not only the import and export but also the import and export of these harmful products within the Republic,” he said.
At the same time, the epidemiologist, who recently represented Mexico before the World Health Organization (WHO), pointed out that there is no dose of tobacco that is not harmful to health, nor any form of administration that can be beneficial.
“The new tobacco products such as vapers and electronic cigarettes are harmful products, they cause multiple diseases (…) they are probably more harmful than conventional products,” said the undersecretary.
During the conference, López-Gatell pointed out that there was misinformation and development in the tobacco industry around the issue:
“The big lie is that vapers and cigarettes are less harmful, (…) but this is false, vapors are harmful to health, and not only that, the second lie is that they suggest that products are a useful measure to quit smoking, there is evidence that these induce tobacco consumption”, he said.
The main motivation for issuing the decree, according to the undersecretary, originated from the addiction and health damage caused by tobacco consumption. He added that the new products are relevant to the tobacco industry given the decrease in tobacco consumption in different parts of the world.
At the same time, he assured that “the tobacco industry threatens children with new products”, since, according to the official, they are designed to be attractive to children.
“They are doing it in an open and rude way but also disguised with misleading speech because the products are designed to attract the attention of children.”
With this, he explained that this not only occurs from advertising, but also with the design of flavored products. According to the authorities, the main alerts on vapers and electronic cigarettes are:
-Increase the probability of smoking tobacco
-Accelerates the possibility of an addiction
-Generate contamination by direct exposure
The Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risks ( Cofepris ) issued a maximum health alert and explained that there is no evidence that vapers are a less harmful alternative:
“Its derivatives of carcinogenic compounds, toxic substances, and aerosol emissions represent a serious risk for those who consume it,” he said in a statement.
In the text, Cofepris warned how the inhalation of an excipient frequently found in vaping devices called vitamin E acetate constitutes a high risk to health, as it is a toxic substance that can cause acute respiratory diseases and even death.
“No vaper or tobacco heater has health authorization, nor recognition by the Ministry of Health (SSa) as reduced or alternative risk products”, he said.
Currently, about 15 million people in Mexico are smokers.
Trending Stories Right Now on PVDN
- Two women shot in Puerto Vallarta, one dies Two women were shot in Puerto Vallarta by unknown persons leaving one dead, the Jalisco State Prosecutor’s Office is already investigating the events. The Regional Prosecutor’s Office carries out corresponding investigations after the aggression by firearm against the women, at the intersection of Prolongación Brasil with Avenida de las Américas, in the Lázaro Cárdenas neighborhood,…
- Mexico announces a ban on vapers and electronic cigarettes Within the framework of World No Tobacco Day, the Mexican federal government announced that it will sign a decree that will prohibit the circulation and commercialization of vapers and electronic cigarettes. The announcement was made by the Undersecretary of Health, Hugo López-Gatell this May 31, during the press conference of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.…
- Hurricane Agatha expected to make landfall as category 2 near Puerto Escondido The most recent update of the National Water Commission (Conagua) warned that Hurricane Agatha “is located 130 kilometers south of Lagunas Chacahua, Oaxaca, as category 2 on the Saffir-Simpson scale. The cyclone is moving northeast at 9 kilometers per hour, with maximum sustained winds of 175 kilometers per hour and gusts of up to 215…
- Tropical Storm Agatha continues to strengthen to a hurricane The National Water Commission ( Conagua ) reported this Saturday afternoon that tropical storm Agatha, the first of the 2022 Pacific Hurricane Season, continues to gradually strengthen in the Pacific area. Through a statement, it detailed that until 4:00 p.m., it was located approximately 270 kilometers southwest of Puerto Ángel, in the state of Oaxaca,…
- Recommendations to not swim at some Puerto Vallarta beaches have been posted As PVDN reported last week, the presence of red and green tides on the beaches of Puerto Vallarta has been identified, for which yellow and purple flags are posted on beaches of Puerto Vallarta. According to information from the Civil Protection and Fire Department of Puerto Vallarta, due to the presence of a green tide…