Quintana Roo is on red alert due to the arrival of sargassum in quantities that reach up to 50 tons per day per municipality; Given this, businessmen from the Riviera Maya called for the immediate intervention of the three levels of government to contain the problem.
The director of the Sargassum Monitoring Center, Esteban Amaro, stated that the sargassum stain, which covers the Quintana Roo territory, measures around 150 kilometers in diameter.
In this regard, the president of the Caribbean Business Coordinating Council of the Riviera Maya, Lenin Amaro, highlighted the importance that the directors of the Federal Maritime Terrestrial Zone (Zofemat), allocate more elements that are dedicated to the removal of the algae as soon as possible before it breaks down and the bad smell becomes a health problem.
He demanded that the authorities put into operation the two sargacero boats that they have for the area and the installation of 2.5 kilometers of barriers, in order to avoid the bad image that the algae gives to tourists, especially now that the Easter holidays are approaching.
In an interview, Esteban Amaro said that from February to March the tons of sargassum on the beaches of the entity increased by almost two million since 4.2 million tons arrived in February.
The specialist affirmed that the Navy just announced that in the third week of April it will install the barriers to contain said algae; In addition, the collection vessels are about to start operating.
We don’t charge a fee for our content because news and information should never be a privilege reserved for those with certain economic benefits, but we do accept PVDN community sponsors for those who want to support local media and keep news and information free to everyone. Learn how you can become a community sponsor here.
He accepted it would be good to rethink the entire strategy of attention to this problem, with the support of local scientists; although the participation of the community would also be necessary.
He anticipated that each year the arrival of sargassum will be more intense and will arrive earlier in the season.
In recent days, businessmen from Mahahual, in Chetumal, the state capital, also requested the participation of the three levels of government to address this problem.
Trending Stories Right Now on PVDN
- Male found hanging in Puerto Vallarta’s Romantic Zone The male body was found in a taco stand located between Olas Altas and Francisca Rodríguez streets. Early this Thursday, March 31, a male was found dead with a cable around his neck in the popular Romantic Zone of Puerto Vallarta. The events took place in an area popular for its many restaurants in the…
- Search for remains of missing Canadian in Puerto Vallarta is underway Through a statement, the authorities reported that they are looking for the remains of Malcolm Madsen, the Canadian who disappeared in 2018 after going to a bar in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, with his girlfriend Marcela A. With the support of trained dogs, the State Prosecutor’s Office together with federal authorities initiated the investigation from five…
- Two Nayarit beaches remain closed after 165 beachgoers were attacked by Moray eels Since March 24, the General Directorate of Citizen Protection and Firefighters of Nayarit closed access to the beaches of Guayabitos and Los Ayala, in the municipality of Comostela, due to the presence of Morena fish that have so far bitten 165 bathers. Moray eel bite is usually painful and can cause the victim secondary infection…
- Red tide in Puerto Vallarta still lingering in the Bay of Banderas The harmful algal bloom known as red tide has afflicted Puerto Vallarta and Banderas Bay since the end of February, causing the death of fish and representing a risk to public health. Their presence has been monitored by the members of the Department of Biological Sciences of the University Center of the Coast of the…
- Puerto Vallarta prepares to keep tourists safe this Easter holiday With the commitment to reinforce and coordinate the preventive and operational actions necessary to guarantee the integrity of citizens and visitors during the next vacation period, the 2022 Holy Week Operational Plan for the municipalities of Puerto Vallarta and Cabo Corrientes, by the Regional Base of the State Civil Protection and Fire Department of Jalisco…