Politics

Van Dissel admits using private email for official business during pandemic


Jaap van Dissel at a parliamentary hearing in February. Photo: ANP/HH/Robin Utrecht

The head of the outbreak management team, Jaap van Dissel, used his private email address to contact colleagues in the OMT and the public health agency RIVM.

As head of the RIVM’s centre for infectious disease control, Van Dissel played a pivotal role in shaping and communicating the Dutch pandemic response. He is the second senior figure in government to admit he sent work-related emails from his private account.

Former health minister Hugo de Jonge was criticised for using private emails earlier this month. The practice is not forbidden but it is strongly discouraged, for security reasons and to avoid creating the impression that government officials may be trying to hide information.

Emails on private accounts are harder to retrieve through information requests, making it harder for parliamentary inquiries and other investigations to obtain a complete record of communications.

Van Dissel confirmed through a spokesman he had contacted colleagues and civil servants from his Gmail account to the Volkskrant. He said he did so for convenience because the RIVM’s systems were less user-friendly and not always accessible.

‘Given the large volume of emails that he received, it makes his work easier,’ the spokesman said.

However, on April 7 2020 the agency sent out a circular email to dozens of staff explicitly warning them not to use private accounts ‘because of the heightened risk of uninvited guests’ – a reference to potential hackers.

‘Be careful with confidential information. Never via private mail, always use the firewall,’ the message said.

The RIVM added that Van Dissel had stopped using his private email for official business in the light of the controversy around De Jonge’s emails. The spokesman also said the two men had not exchanged emails between their private accounts.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

close